Monday, May 7, 2007

Bear Scouts

Growing up with Mom was always colourful and she never ceased to amaze me. One of my favorite things about Mom was the large number of unusual poems and sayings that she had. Some of these Mom-isms include…

“If wishes were horses then beggars would ride”

“Sixes and Sevens”

“One crow sorrow, two crow joy, three a letter, four a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told”

“If you lie with the dogs you get up with the fleas”

“You can’t soar with the eagles if you hoot with the owls”

“Red sky at night sailors delight, red sky at morning sailors taking warning”

“All this and heaven too”

"Be careful what you wish for: you just might get it"

But I think that my own personal favorite was based on a Berenstain Bears book that we read a lot as kids. Every time I was heading out the door Mom would call after me, “Goodbye small bear, good luck, have fun.” Over the years we added our own lines and veered farther and father from the words on the page. Some of the time I think that our versions were much better then the original. It was our tradition.

That is something that I will miss so much about Mom – hearing that mantra every time I walk out the door.

No comments: